Brief Summary

Stony Hill Rural Fire Department was incorporated in 1958 by a dedicated group of concerned citizens from the Stony Hill Community and New Light Township. The original two bay station is still located beside the Fall's Lake Grocery. In 1963 the station moved a new station at 7025 Stony Hill Road. Over the next 35 years, the department grew through donations and fund raisers.

In 1984, the department established a tax district with Wake County, which enabled us to receive funding through the county from a percentage of property tax. As the community grew, a need was determined for a Station #2. In 1997, Station #2 was completed and the department was capable of improving its services to the residents in the New Light Road area and some of the Dutchville Township.

More recently, the Stony Hill Rural Fire Department has moved again.  In 2004, Wake County purchased property next door to our old Station #1 and built a new Station that houses both Stony Hill Rural Fire Department and Wake County EMS 12. This new "Headquarters" station is approximately 17,000 square feet and has 8 total apparatus bays.  Six of these bays are for the fire department's use and 2 bays for Wake County EMS use. 

The new facility serves as the main location for the fire department's administration.

Pre History

Series of "mysterious fires" destroy two schoolhouses, one church, and two residences in New Light Township. Buildings believed burned as reprisals for destruction of eight whiskey plants in community. Fires occur in Hurricane neighborhood, some twenty miles from Raleigh. Destroyed are L. J. Sears school, Stoney Hill school, West Grove Baptist Church, Leo Ray's residence, and Lonnie Harrison's dwellings. Community is located in the eastern part of the township and northwest of the Falls of Neuse. (March 12, 1921) rt12mar21

1950 - 1959

1958, organized as Stony Hill Fire Department. Incorporated as Stony Hill Rural Fire Department Inc. (June 12, 1958) sos

Charter Members:

  • Howard Keith
  • Novlen Perry
  • Pearl Moody
  • Shorty Perrott
  • Horace Perry
  • Bill Bailey
  • Vernon Keith, Sr.
  • Vernon Keith, Jr
  • J.C. Ray
  • Owen Ray
  • Bervin Woodlief
  • Stonewall Harrison
  • J.P. Bailey
  • Kenneth Harrison
  • Truby Powell
  • Ed Grice
  • O.L. Holliday fdr

1958, first fire station is two-bay tin shed located beside 2713 Durham Road, behind and beside present Falls Lake Grocery. Sign on building misprints Stony Hill as Stoney Hill. Misspelling persists for decades. fdr

1958, first fire apparatusoh:

1951 Chevy pumper, 500 GPM, 750 gallons, front-mounted pump cost: 5,175

1952 Autocar tanker, 3000 gallons, no quick dump, former military aviation tanker (firefighting, w/dual rear pumps?) cost 297

1960 - 1969

1963, new fire station constructed at 7025 Stony Hill Road.

Property donated by Bill Ray, nearby resident, with stipulation that ownership reverts back to him if no longer used for fire station. fdr, oh

1964, apparatus delivery: Jeep brush trucks (2)

1970 - 1979

1974, first beef barbecue held. Becomes semi-annual event on same Saturday in April and October. Fire department averages $16,000-$17,000 profit per cookout (in later years?). Food qualities average (in later years?):

3,000-3,500 pounds of beef
about 800 whole chickens
1,600 pounds cabbage

During first year, food runs out by 2:30 p.m. During second year, food runs out by 3:30 p.m. By fourth or fifth year, correct food quantities determined. Barbeque continues for twenty or twenty-one years, until discontinued around 1996. oh

1970, apparatus deliver: GMC / Alexander (of Raleigh) pumper / tanker, 500 GPM, 1250 gallons cost: $5,411

1973, apparatus delivery: 1966 Ford brush truck w/PTO pump, 140 GPM.  cost: $1,117

1976, apparatus delivery: 1954 Mack B75 / Hole pumper, 2 stage, 750 GPM, 750 gallons. Cost $11,731. Original owner Independence, NJ.

1978, apparatus delivery: 1966 GMC pumper / tanker, 500 GPM, 2000 gallons, tandem-axle with quick dump, only second quick dump in County (after Cary), later sold to fire department near Southport, NC.

1979 (?), apparatus delivery: 1979 Ford-250 brush truck, 250-300 gallons.

1980 - 1989

1980, old lodge building burns across from Woodland Chapel on SR 1922. Fire is believed suspicious, with several old abandoned houses and barns burned in the last few weeks. Wake Forest, Bay Leaf, Rolesville, and Falls fire departments respond as mutual aid. All are returned to quarters except Wake Forest. (December 11, 1980) ww

1980, Chev FMC Pumper, 1000 GPM

1981, Texas Supper held from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. (April 25, 1981) yfdr

early 1980's, fire department publishes cookbook of favorite recipes. oh

1984, apparatus delivery: 1983 GMC 7000 / FMC / Bean tanker, 250-300 GPM, 1250 gallons.

1984, department establishes tax district with Wake County, enabling funding as percentage of property tax. fdr

1984, station additions: two more bays and / or rear meeting space.

1985, beef barbecue held. (November 2, 1985) wcfar

1987 (?), apparatus delivery: Ford 8000 / FMC pumper / tanker, 1250 GPM, 1000 gallons.

1990 - 1999

1991 (?), apparatus delivery: 1991 Chevy 30 step van, purchased from Rolesville Fire Department.

early 1990's, siren at Station #1 discontinued. oh

1991, apparatus delivery: Chevy 3500 / E-One first-responder / brush truck, 300 gallons.

1993 (?), apparatus delivery: 1993 KME / Hale pumper / tanker, 1250 GPM, 1000 gallons.

1995-96, last barbecue held. Fundraising no longer necessary with changes in tax districts. oh

1997, Station #2 completed at 15633 New Light Road. fdr

1999 (?), apparatus delivery: 1999 International 4900 / KME pumper / tanker, 1250 GPM, 1000 gallons.

2000 - Present

2001, fire department publishes revised cookbook. Includes recipe for trademark barbecue sauce. (June 2001) oh

2003, construction started on new Station #1 at 7045 Stony Hill Road. The 15,136 square foot facility, a combination fire and EMS station, will including living and sleeping quarters, on-site parking for approximately 50 vehicles, and is designed to accommodate future expansion of dormitory areas. wcm

2004, construction of new Station #1 at 7037 Stony Hill Road completed. wcm

Sources

fdr Fire department records
oh Oral history
sos NC Department of the Secretary of State
wcm Wake County Board of Commissioners minutes
wcfa Wake County Firemen's Association records
yfdr Yrac Fire Department records